Wednesday, December 26, 2007

aham Brahmasmi [uhum bruhmaasmi]

This is how Meditation Day 1 went:

1. Spend 15 minutes reading the first link that came up when I Googled "How to Meditate"
2. Decide this isn't the kind of meditation that I had in mind, think for a few minutes about what the type of meditation was that I read about in some book
3. Do another search and determine that Mantra Meditation is more what I have in mind
4. Read about mantras and find one that sounds cool "Aham Brahmasmi"
5. How the hell do you pronounce that? How am I supposed to meditate using an expression I can't pronounce? Spend some time trying to find a Sanskrit pronounciation guide
6. Set the mood- turn on the fireplace and dim some lights
7. Pick up the kitten and sit cross legged on the floor (this is how you do it, right?).
8. Exhale - uhum - inhale - bruhmassmi - exhale - uhum - inhale - bruhmassmi ... wait this isn't working
9. Do the talking in my head! Yes that's it.
10.Sucessfully breath the mantra for 3 minutes before getting physcially uncomfortable - breathing tempo is funny, legs hurt, back hurts...

How is this a spiritual activity? I'll try it for a week. Now that I've got it figured out, it should be easy -- right?

http://www.e-bazi.com/2007/04/24/secrets-of-mantra-meditation/

No comments: