Monday, May 5, 2008

The Buffalo Grass Is In!!

Yes, we've only been talking about the buffalo grass for about 18 months...and it's finally in! Tonight Erik completed the planting of all 1800 plugs of Prestige Buffalo Grass.

We have been obsessing about this project since before we found the house ("we" being mostly Erik), and are so happy that we are finally free of spring freezes so that we can get these little suckers growing.

We planted the plugs an average of about 8 inches apart, and expect that by end of summer they will fill in to create a nice, no-mow, no water turf grass. Unfortunately right now, they are terribly unimpressive so I am not bothering to post a photo--all of my attempts to capture the newness of the grass were unsucessful and my photos just looked like mounds of dirt--so instead I am posting a photo from the distributer's web site.
I was very skeptical about this project at first, but I'm very excited for it now. As pathetic as these little grasslings look, it is inspiring to see something actually growing in our yard. And they looked so nice in the trays when they were all grouped together...I put them all next to each other and pretended it was sod so I could see how it looks. I think our grass is going to be just as nice as the neighbors, and can't wait for them to envy us because we don't have to mow the lawn every Saturday morning.
The water bills will be nice too. My mom keeps warning me that the City of Thornton has high water prices in the summer, but after this new lawn is established, we should be able to get through the summer with only a slight increase in our water needs. We've even contacted the city to brag about our water conservation efforts, and they offered to run a feature on our yard!

2 comments:

cincol said...

Cool!!
I think you will be glad you did this,a bare yard is a unique chance to be creative! Can't wait for photos when it starts growing tall.

Missy said...

This is so cool. I do not think I have ever seen Buffalo grass planted. I can't wait to see what it looks like! You and Erik are so clever!!!