Saturday, July 26, 2008

Life besides buffalo grass

I'm up to 571 hits, which makes me think that maybe some people are actually reading my blog (besides my mom). Some of you may have found me when researching buffalo grass. I have been posting often about the grass, but wanted to let the world know that there are things growing in my yard besides the grass and weeds.

Today Erik and I went to Paulino Gardens and bought 4 Hydrangeasand 2 Butterfly Bushes. I'm very excited about both and have put a lot of time and research into choosing the correct plants. The Hydrangeas will be taking the place of 4 bare-root roses that were planted in early in spring--all but one of the roses died, and we're attempting to save the scragly remains of the 4th rose. We bought a special hybrid of the Hydrangeas that are supposed to have mutiple bloom cycles per year. My hope is that they will grow tall enough to be visible from the living room and bedroom windows, which are just a few feet above the plants now.

The Butterfly Bushes are placed at either end of the row of hydrangeas and should also be good and visible from the house.


In late June we also planted 4 Korean Spice Viburnum bushes and a row of about 10 Purple Ice Plants. The Ice Plant has done well and I expect they will continue to grow in to form a nice matted edge around the patio. The Viburnum seem to be hanging in there. They hadn't shown much sign of growth until this week, when fuzzy nubs appeared at the top of some of the branches. It seems late in the season for them to bloom, so I'm eager to see what happens.

Here are some photos of our yard that I took today.

1 comment:

Missy said...

It all looks great! The buffalo grass is really coming along in one of the shots it looked really good! I really like the rocks in your garden too. What can I say I am all about rocks. Rocks in my yard....rocks in my head!