Thursday, January 17, 2008

Solar Panels - Part 2



No sooner did I publish my last post on being green, than low and behold a solution showed up on our front door.

I came home the following evening and found a flyer on my door with an invitation to a local community meeting on solar panels. Last night I learned about the financial benefits available with photovoltaic solar panels.

I came to find out that there are several rebate programs available through the local utility company, plus there is an IRS Tax Credit. Not only that, but if you are energy wise and generate more electricity with your panels than you use, you can actually sell the he excess back to the grid and could see a return on your investment.

I am in love with this solution. The biggest appeal to me is that (1) the solar panels provide benefit all year long, and (2) it is an opportunity to give back to the community. The solar system we have been looking into creates heat. Now this is all fine and dandy on days like today when the high outside is a chilly 25 degrees, but in Denver (beleive it or not) these days are few. Probably 7 out of 12 months we do not use our heater. If the panels create electricity, we can use it all year--and even power the AC with it!

Who says you can't have everything? I still need to set up time for the solar sales guy to come evaluate our home and put together a proposal, so it's not like this is a done deal--in fact E didn't even go to last nights meeting--but I have a good feeling about it.

No comments: