Monday, January 14, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

In the years that my husband and I have been together, he has taught me many things. The two key values he has tried to impress upon me are frugality and concern for the environment.

Now this is not to say that I was completely absent of these values prior to meeting E (well, maybe I didn't even know what frugal meant), but they definitely did not drive my life. Yes, like everyone, I said I thought we should do our part to save the environment...but it's an easy thing to say.

Now that we are proud homeowners, he has organized all of his spare time around fulfilling these two goals: saving money and being "green". He's even started his own blog on the subject.

I, on the other hand, seem to have inadvertently organized myself around resisting his goals. I dread almost every aspect of making our home more economical and green. For me, meeting E's values means this: being cold at home, ugly solar panels, funky thermal curtains and/or blinds, noisy attic fan, and sacrificing cool AC for a less cool swamp cooler.

I'm torn in a dilemma that I know I've faced before: looking good vs. honoring my word. Why does so much of my life boil down to this? I know that the right thing to do (and the thing that will ultimately make me most proud) is to be on E's side about this and support it all. But there's this big part of me that just wants to have the prettiest, coolest, and best house on the block.

So what is there to do?

Just over a year ago, we created a goal of "having it all". I think I will recreate that goal for myself. Why not live for a future where we can have a green home, and be the best house on the block? What can it hurt to try?

No comments: