Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How To Open A Jar

As anyone who knows me can attest, there are few things in life that I love so much as a nice snack of chips & salsa. Headed home tonight in a foul mood, I stopped by the store for a little pick me up and decided to try a new brand. I got two jars, each different flavors. I headed home and promptly sat myself down for a snack, only to find the lids on not one but both jars hopelessly stuck.

I found this video on YouTube that pretty much explains how I was feeling:



As I entered "Phase 9", I decided to do some more research and found a very helpful post on YahooAnswers. Here is the best response I found, with a little addition from me:

Tap it. Use a knife or the edge of a counter to knock little notches
in the rim in two or three places. This seems to loosen the seal and has
worked for me more times than not in my salsa eating life.

Burp it. Take a teaspoon or butter knife, look under the rim of the lid for
the areas that like they have been pressed. Wedge your utensil under there and
push on it, sending the rim outward (like a crowbar). Once you break the seal it
will be easy to open.

Spank it. Hold the jar in your left hand while your right hits the bottom
in an upward motion a couple of times.

Ram it. Turn it upside down on the counter, pick it up and making sure it's
level, bang it down hard. Not too hard, you'll break it. Just hard enough to
break the seal.


Today, the Burp It method won.

No comments: